This Gloria's Shito Mac & Cheese is the ideal cozy side dish for your holiday gatherings with friends and family. The addition of Gloria's Shito brings a delightful touch of warmth and spice to every delectable bite.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
-2 teaspoons Gloria’s Vegan Chili Oil (Can add more for spicier flavor)
-1 (16 oz.) package elbow pasta or shells
-4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
-3 to 4 Tablespoons flour
-1 1/2 cups milk
-1 cup heavy cream
-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-2 cups yellow sweet corn, frozen or fresh kernels
-1 teaspoon: salt, mustard powder, garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with a small amount of oil or cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water and cook the macaroni according to the package instructions until it's al dente. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the whole milk, water, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until it's hot but not boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the shredded Gruyere, smoked Gouda, cheddar, and mozzarella cheeses, stirring until they melt into a creamy sauce. This is your cheese sauce.
- Stir in Gloria's Shito Vegan Chili Oil to add a delightful kick of flavor. Adjust the amount to suit your desired level of spiciness.
- Add the cooked elbow-shaped pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until the pasta is evenly coated with the cheese mixture.
- Pour the cheesy pasta mixture into the greased baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the pasta.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the edges are bubbling.
- Remove the baked macaroni and cheese from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Add a drizzle of Gloria's Shito Vegan Chili oil as needed for an extra burst of flavor and spiciness to your liking.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil with a pinch of salt and add shells or elbow pasta and cook according to packaging, about 14-16 minutes in most cases. Once cooked, drain, and lightly toss in olive oil (to prevent sticking together), cool and set aside.
To make the Mac + Cheese:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the medium deep skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter until melted.
- Add in the flour and seasonings: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper, whisking to combine. Now, add in the chili oil and continue to whisk.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and slowly add in the heavy cream and milk, whisking until combined and the sauce begins to thicken a bit from the flour, about 3-4 minutes. Let it slightly bubble for 1-2 minutes and then add in the sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese, whisking again until fully melted and sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the corn and cooked pasta until incorporated and coated.
- Remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese atop everything until fully covered.
- Bake (without being covered) for 10-15 minutes or so, or until cheese has fully melted and the top is browned slightly, and the sauce is bubbly at the sides.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite salad or bread. Enjoy!