A cozy bowl of bean stew paired with fried yellow plantains is the perfect dish for a relaxing Sunday afternoon in my Ghanaian household growing up. It pairs wonderfully with Gloria's Shito, adding an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
- 2 x 16 oz. can beans beans of your choosing (Red pinto beans or black eye peas)
- 6 OZ. red or yellow onions
- 1/2 a cup of olive oil
- 15 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of dry onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon of dry garlic flakes
- ⅓ teaspoon of salt
- 1 can of sardines
- 1 yellow plantains
- 1 green avocado
- 1 tablespoon of Gloria's Shito
- Drain and rinse the canned beans of your choice (red pinto beans or black-eyed peas) thoroughly under cold water. Set them aside.
- Chop the red or yellow onions into small pieces.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent and slightly golden.
- Open the can of chopped tomatoes and add it to the pot with the onions. Stir well to combine.
- Sprinkle the dry onion flakes, dry garlic flakes, and salt into the pot. Stir again to incorporate the flavors.
- Carefully add the drained and rinsed canned beans to the pot. Stir gently to coat the beans with the tomato mixture.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the bean stew simmer for about 20-25 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While the bean stew is simmering, prepare the yellow plantains. Peel the plantains and slice them into thin rounds or desired shape.
- In a separate skillet, heat some oil over medium heat. Fry the plantain slices until they turn golden brown and slightly crispy on each side. Remove from the skillet and place them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Open the can of sardines and drain the oil or sauce.
- Slice the green avocado into thin pieces.
- Serve the bean stew in bowls, topping it with a few sardines, fried yellow plantains, and slices of avocado.
- A drizzil of Gloria's Shito
Enjoy your delicious bean stew paired with crispy yellow plantains and creamy avocado!