Coleslaw whether it be acidic or creamy is a staple of the American backyard BBQ or cookout. Its continued presence upon rickety folding tables found at campgrounds high up in the Rocky Mountains or upon checkered or flowery vinyl table cloths at the hottest block party. This iconic side dish demands respect but it's variations number in the thousands and at Gloria's Shito we would like to offer our sweet and spicy summer variation of this backyard staple.
Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw
- Half a head or one small bag of shredded green or purple cabbage
- 1 large shredded carrot
- 1 package of alfalfa sprouts (optional but I enjoy the earthiness it brings)
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs of Gloria's Shito Ghanaian Chili Oil (use half as much to reduce spice level)
- 1 Tbs of red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs of Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs of honey
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl combine shredded cabbage, Shredded Carrot and alfalfa sprouts and mix the three together until they are evenly incorporated
- in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, Gloria's Shito, red wine vinegar, Dijon and honey and mix well until the mixture comes together.
- Using a spatula pour the sauce into the cabbage and carrot mixture and fold all of the ingredients together until all of the cabbage is lightly coated with the sauce.
- Salt the coleslaw to taste and either serve immediately of refrigerate for later use.
This awesome coleslaw is amazing on grilled chicken sandwiches or just enjoyed by itself and works well with any other summer time BBQ or cookout staples.